Have some ripe bananas that no one is eating and you don’t want to throw away? Let them eat cake! Banana cupcakes that is! Now those bananas won’t go to waste!
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box (15 oz) Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/3 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), melted
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1/3 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons rice milk or coconut milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a standard cupcake pan with cupcake liners. In large bowl, stir cupcake ingredients just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter evenly into cupcake cups.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/3 cup buttery spread over medium heat just until light brown, stirring occasionally. (Watch carefully because it can burn very quickly.) Remove from heat. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat buttery spread, powdered sugar, vanilla and enough rice or coconut milk until smooth and spreadable. Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with a slice of banana.