I am quite fond of caramel. So caramel fondue is right up my ally. Fondue is a fun and easy way to have a dessert! So many dipping options, the dessert possibilities are really endless!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons rice milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or buttery spread, such as Earth Balance, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dippers: apple slices (Fuji apples are the BEST!), banana, 1-inch cubes of gluten free pound cake (recipe coming soon!), large marshmallows, whole strawberries, gluten free graham crackers or your favorite dipper!
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil, swirling the pan occasionally without stirring, until the caramel sauce turns a deep amber color, about 7 minutes. As the mixture boils, wipe down sides of pan frequently with a wet pastry brush to prevent the crystallization of the sugar.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the rice milk with a long-handled spoon, carefully avoiding the splatters as it bubbles up. Add the buttery spread, reduce the heat to low and return the pan to the heat, stirring until the buttery spread melts and the caramel is smooth. Stir in the vanilla and the salt.
- Place the mixture in a fondue pot. Arrange your dippers on a platter and make sure you have enough forts or bamboo skewers for your guests to dunk their favorites in the warm caramel. Now if the caramel starts to firm up, add a tablespoon of corn syrup and transfer it from the fondue pot to a microwave-safe bowl and reheat it in the microwave. Return to the fondue pot and continue to dip away!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.