When you think of Little Debbie, what comes to mind? Oatmeal Cream Pies? I thought so. The Oatmeal Cream Pies were my favorite Little Debbie snack. The creamy filling always managed to put a smile on my face. Now, I’m ready to put that smile on my face again – all while being gluten free and still delicious.
Oatmeal Cream Pies
They may not be the Little Debbie recipe, but they are pretty darn close!
- 1 cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oats
For the Cream Filling:
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream
- ½ cup vegan shortening (Earth Balance)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the vegan butter, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the gluten free flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir to combine; mix in the oats.
- Drop tablespoon sized scoops onto the cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to brown around the edges. Be careful not to overbake them; they will look moist. They are supposed to be moist. (The moist cookie is one of my favorite parts of the cookie)
- While the cookies are baking, in a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla and mix on high until fluffy.
- Add the salt water and mix well.
- Spread the filling onto the flat side of one cookie and top with another.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.