WOOOO!! It’s Mardi Gras!! Also known as Fat Tuesday! Now while I will not be celebrating Mardi Gras officially this year, I will be eating some delicious DELICIOUS FOOD! (That’s why they call it Fat Tuesday right?!) How about some creole stew!! Nothing says Mardi Gras and New Orleans like some creole stew!
Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly smoked sausage (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (such as Rotel)
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan.
- Sauté 3 minutes or until bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp ; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
I can hear the sounds of the streets of New Orleans now!! If you like it spicy (like I do) add a dash of crushed red pepper to your stew. (Crushed red pepper is a staple seasoning in my house. It goes in A LOT of recipes!)
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.