Coffee-flavored cupcakes are topped with a Vanilla Espresso Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Yum. Definitely a great breakfast kind of cupcake without the frosting!
Vanilla Latte Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark roast coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and coffee grounds. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the brewed coffee, milk, and liqueur.
- Starting and ending with the flour, in a few additions alternately add the flour and milk mixture to the mixer, mixing on low speed until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter between 18 cupcake liners, filling each cup about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Vanilla Espresso Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted vegan butter, softened but cool, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped OR 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (or to taste), dissolved into 2 teaspoons. boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in the clean, dry bowl of a stand mixer. Place over a pot of simmering water, and heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture reaches 160 degrees.
- Attach the bowl to the mixture (fitted with the whisk attachment). Starting at low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high, beat the mixture until the bottom of the bowl cools to room temperature and the egg whites are thick and glossy and form soft peaks.
- While mixing, add the butter, a few tablespoons at a time, until it has all been incorporated. Continue mixing until the frosting comes together. Switch to the paddle attachment and over medium speed, add in the vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds, coffee mixture, and salt. Beat until well combined and taste and adjust flavorings as necessary.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.
*Note: This recipe made just enough frosting for to frost 16 cupcakes as shown. If you like a lot of frosting on your cupcakes, you may want to make 1.5 times the recipe.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.