Food Network has great snack recipes that are easily adaptable to be gluten free/dairy free! The other day, I came across some great popcorn recipes and I thought HEY! I’ll do a little popcorn series! It first started with the Peanut Maple Popcorn. Today – Mexican Chocolate Popcorn Balls! Movie night snacks will never be the same!
Mexican Chocolate Popcorn Balls
Making these will be sticky but worth it! The mix of chocolate and spices is great!
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 cupconfectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s is great – you can use Toll House as well but I like Hershey’s cocoa powder way better)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt.
- 12 cups popcorn – popped (I suggest using a natural or light butter popcorn or even Kettle corn (my personal favorite) )
- Cinnamon Sugar for rolling
- Bring corn syrup, butter, sugar, 1 cup mini marshmallows, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, and water to a boil in a large pot over medium heat, stirring.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Remove from the heat; using a rubber spatula, stir in popcorn and 1 more cup of mini marshmallows.
- Now for the fun and sticky part – yes it will be sticky! Butter your hands, and shape mixture into balls.
- Roll formed balls in cinnamon sugar.
Who said popcorn balls were boring!?! ENJOY!