01 May 2012
in Basics, Dessert, Recipes, Snacks
Tags: celiac awareness month, Cinnamon, coconut, coconut flakes, coconut tart, Dairy Free, dessert, dessert tarts, Food, gluten-free, Gluten-free diet, nutmeg, Vanilla extract
Well it’s MAY! Did you now that May is Celiac Awareness month? Now you do!
To celebrate the start of May and Celiac Awareness how about some cute little tarts!! Coconut Tarts that is! So break out some tart pans and get baking!
adapted Simply Gluten Free
- 1¾ cups sweetened coconut flakes – use divided
- 1 cup gluten free graham style crumbs (Kinnikinnick)
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
- 1 – 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup tapioca starch or corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place 1¼ cups of the coconut on a sheet pan and spread into an even layer.
- Toast the coconut in the oven until it is fragrant and lightly browned, 8 – 10 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking for even browning. Reserve ¼ cup of the toasted coconut for garnish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of the toasted coconut with the graham style crumbs and the coconut oil.
- Press into four 4 inch tart pans with removable bottoms, an 8 inch tart pan or even a 9 inch pie plate, making sure to get the mixture up the sides as well as on the bottom. Place in the freezer to cool and harden – about 15 minutes. While the crust hardens, make the filling.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the coconut milk, brown sugar, tapioca starch and salt.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens, just about 3 minutes. Stir in the pure vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Press the mixture through a sieve if you like to make sure there are no lumps.
- Stir in the ½ cup of coconut flakes you did not toast. Pour the mixture into the prepared tart pan(s) or pie plate.
- Let the tart cool in the fridge until ready to serve. Garnish with reserved toasted coconut flakes.
ENJOY!!Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.