Another DELICIOUS dessert for the holidays and another other day of the year. Because I mean…who doesn’t like chocolate!?! The chefs at Whole Foods Market have done it again with this wonderfully sweet and satisfying flourless chocolate cake. If you enjoy the flourless Chocolate Dome at P.F. Chang’s China Bistro (try it if you haven’t! ) then you’ll LOVE this decadent dessert. So head to the kitchen, eat a few chocolate chips while you’re making it and remember…sharing IS caring – even if it is too good to share.
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I use semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate mmm chocolate! )
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 1/4 cups cane sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon rice milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray, too, then set the pan aside.
- Place two-thirds (8 ounces) of the chocolate and 1 cup (2 sticks) of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Stirring often, melt chocolate with butter until completely blended. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. (Alternatively, you may use your microwave to melt the butter with the chocolate, if desired). Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa into bowl and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake has risen and top has formed a thin crust. The cake should be just firm in the center when done. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate, removing sides of springform pan. Remove and discard parchment paper and set cake aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze. Melt remaining 4 ounces chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in rice milk (or almond milk), honey and vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When cake has cooled, pour glaze onto the center. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, very gently smooth glaze along the top and sides of the cake. Chill cake, uncovered, for 30 to 60 minutes before serving to set the glaze and make the cake easier to slice.