Happy Leap Day!! While this may be just another day of the year of some people, others may be celebrating a birthday! (Happy birthday to all the Leap Day babies out there!) SO, in honor of Leap Day, a lot of stores have been advertising special sales and Subway has declared it Free Cookie Day. So, I thought I would post a crazy cookie recipe in honor of this once in four years day.
A to Z Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nuts, chocolate, coconut, crunchy cereal and oats all rolled into one cookie! They’re chewy, crispy, crunchy and fabulous!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter is a wonderful flour)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free Cinnamon Chex cereal, crumbled
- 3 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups gluten free semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or nuts of your choice) – or omit the nuts if you are allergic
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease cookie sheets. Sift together gluten free flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together vegan butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in coconut milk and vanilla. Gradually mix in the sifted ingredients until well blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the cornflakes, oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and walnuts (or other nut). Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets; flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Slightly under baking these yields wonderfully chewy cookies!
Make these Loaded Candy cookies by adding your favorite candy like Miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and crumbled Homemade Oreos instead of the cereal and oats.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.