21 Feb 2012
in Drinks, Recipes
Tags: cocktails, Curaçao (liqueur), Dairy Free, French Quarter, gluten-free, Mai Tai, Mardi Gras, orange flavored liqueur, red snapper cocktail, rum
Are you ready for two more cocktails? Red Snapper II and a Mai Tai!
Red Snapper II
Straight from the French Quarter.
- 1 fluid ounce amaretto liqueur
- 1 fluid ounce cranberry juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Place the amaretto, and cranberry juice into a shaker with ice.
- Shake, then strain into shot glasses.
The Perfect Mai Tai
A very tropical treat
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons 151 proof rum
- 2 tablespoons orange curacao (orange flavored liqueur)
- 2 tablespoons almond flavored syrup
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1-1/4 limes, juiced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- In a large jar or drink cooler, combine the light rum, dark rum, 151 rum, orange liqueur, almond syrup, simple syrup, and lime juice.
- Stir and top off with orange juice.
- Do not use grenadine if you want the true Mai Tai!
- Serve in 8 to 12 ounce glasses with ice.
ALWAYS DRINK RESPONSIBLY!
More to come!
21 Feb 2012
in Dinner, Recipes
Tags: Cîroc, Dairy Free, gluten-free, grape vodka, hurricane cocktail, Mardi Gras, Monopolowa, potato vodka, raspberry liqueur, rum, Teton Glacier, Vikingfjord
Here comes the Top 10 Mardi Gras Cocktails!! I’ll do them in pairs. 4 more posts to go!
Get a taste of the Big Easy with these favorite refreshers.
New Orleans Hurricane
The classic Mardi Gras cocktail–serve in Hurricane glasses.
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup light rum (Malibu is my favorite and super versatile)
- 1 cup passion fruit flavored syrup
- 4 cups lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage (Sprite and 7-Up work the best)
- 1/4 pound lime juice
- 1/2 cup 151 proof rum
- In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage and lime juice.
- Shake well and pour mixture into a Hurricane or other large specialty glass.
- Float the 151 proof rum on top of the drink.
Storm of the Century Hurricane
A Hurricane with a twist. – This twist DOES have vodka. Make sure you use a potato or grape vodka
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
- 1/4 cup vodka
- Potato: Chopin, Teton Glacier, Monopolowa, Vikingfjord, Luksosowa
- Grape: Cîroc, Bombora
- 1/4 cup gin
- 1/4 cup Chambord (raspberry liqueur)
- 1/4 cup triple sec liqueur
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- orange slices for garnish
- maraschino cherry for garnish
- Fill a hurricane glass with ice.
- Add light rum, dark rum, coconut rum, vodka, gin, raspberry liqueur, triple sec and orange juice.
- Shake gently, and garnish with orange slices and a cherry, if desired. Beverage will be about the color of a pink grapefruit.
Ready for some more!! Stay tuned!!
ALWAYS DRINK RESPONSIBLY!
20 Feb 2012
in Dessert, Recipes
Tags: Bananas Foster, caramel rum sauce, caramel sauce, Dairy Free, gluten-free, Häagen-Dazs, Ice cream, la tortilla factory, light brown sugar, rum, Tortilla
Bananas Foster on a Crispy Tortilla Shell
Reminiscent of New Orleans, this class dish is typically served on vanilla (or even rum raisin or pecan) ice cream and it is FABULOUS! By placing the bananas and ice cream on a crispy, salty piece of baked tortilla, you’ve added another level of delight.
For the Tortilla Shell
- 1 gluten free tortilla, such as Food for Life or La Tortilla Factory
- 1 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter, such as Earth Balance, melted
For the Banana Foster Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsalted vegan butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (or rum extract)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe, but firm medium bananas
- 1 pint gluten free vanilla ice cream, such as Ben & Jerry’s, or Häagen-Dazs (or for you dairy free darlings any vanilla non-dairy ice cream)
- Make the tortilla shells: Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Brush the top of the whole tortilla with melted butter. Cut the tortilla into quarters with kitchen scissors and place the quarters on a foil-lined baking sheet or pizza pan (not nonstick). Lay an oven-proof wire rack (the kind used under roasts) over the tortillas to prevent them from curling.
- Bake the tortilla chips for 3 to 5 minutes or just until they look golden brown. Watch carefully because they CAN BURN QUICKLY. Remove them from the oven, sprinkle very lightly with salt, and let cool while making the caramel-rum sauce.
- Make the caramel-rum sauce: In a medium skillet, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat and stir in rum and vanilla.
- Peel bananas, cut into 1/2 inch slices, and to caramel mixture in skillet. Return skillet to low heat and cook gently just until bananas are heated trough.
- Place the 4 tortilla quarters on 4 dessert plates. Spoon 1/2 cup ice cream on each tortilla quarter. Drizzle banana-caramel mixture on each and serve immediately
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
01 Jan 2012
in Drinks, Recipes
Tags: Cocktail, Cranberry Juice, drinks, gluten-free, Grapefruit, Malibu, rum
For our New Years Dick Clark’s Rocking New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest viewing, I had my go to drink of Simply Raspberry Lemonade and Malibu Coconut Rum and it got me thinking. Sure I love my Raspcoconut Cocktail but what other drinks can I make with Malibu? I like Malibu because it’s gluten free and it is so versatile. Plus all the Malibu flavors are great. So with that, I started to think what would taste good and what I would like to share with you!
- 50ml (1 part) Malibu
- 50ml (1 part) Cranberry Juice
- 50ml (1 part) Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- Pour all the ingredients over cubed ice in a highball.
- Stir to mix and chill. Then garnish with a twist and a wedge of grapefruit.
- 50ml (1 part) Malibu
- 50ml (1 part) Pressed Pineapple Juice
- 50ml (1 part) Pink Grapefruit Juice
- Stir all the ingredients on rock ice in a highball glass.
- Garnish with a twist of grapefruit and a pineapple wedge.
Hot Apple Strudel
Yes. Apples and Malibu. So simple yet so delicious.
- 1 part Malibu
- 3 parts Apple Juice
- Heat the apple juice and pour it over the Malibu in a long drink glass.
- For extra flavor, garnish with a cinnamon stick
15 Dec 2011
in Basics, Drinks, Recipes, Snacks
Tags: Captain Morgan, gluten-free, holiday party, Hors d'œuvre, rum, shrimp
Hosting a holiday party? Looking for a delicious cocktail and tasty appetizer to get the party started? Look no further. I have two great recipes that are sure to make your guests smile and asking for the recipe.
Cocktail Time! Creating a drink that is sure to get your guests buzzing is important when hosting any kind of gathering. Paring with a variety of appetizers for your guests to enjoy will definitely make you the hostess with the most-est!
- In an iced filled shaker combine all the ingredients.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an ice filled glass.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
Serving Facts: Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum contains 0.35 oz. of alcohol per 1 oz. serving.
We all know appetizers are key to a party. People love to eat and chat and having a great assortment of skewers and finger foods make for easy pre-dinner dining. In 2007, the New York Times published an article entitled 101 Simple Appetizers in 20 Minutes or Less
, with so many delicious and easy appetizers that make chips and salsa cringe in the background.
This delicious skewer appetizer is a step up from the traditional shrimp cocktail (which you can never go wrong with on an appetizer table)
Shrimp Mojo de Ajo
- 24 unpeeled, large raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup Mojo de Ajo (recipe below)
- 24 (6-inch) wooden skewers
Garnishes: lime wedges, fresh cilantro sprigs, coarse sea salt
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails on, if desired. Combine shrimp and Mojo de Ajo, tossing to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water 30 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from Mojo de Ajo, discarding marinade. Thread 1 shrimp onto each skewer.
- Grill over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Garnish, if desired.
Mojo de Ajo Recipe
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 3/4 cup bottled minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Cook garlic in hot oil in same saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet paprika, lime juice, and salt. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 5 days. Allow mixture to come to room temperature before using.
So set up the appetizer table and stock up the bar because your next holiday bash is going to be the finest of them all!
05 Dec 2011
in Bars, Drinks, Recipes
Tags: cranberry recipe, gluten-free, holiday punch, rum, spiced rum punch
On the fifth day of yummy, Kwegyirba gave to me, a yummy tangy drink to try with all my delicious cookies! Time to switch it up! Thanks to Aaron Sanchez of the Food Network, this punch will be a perfect addition to any holiday party or cookie swap (where you can show off all of your delicious cookies and other desserts).
Cranberry and Spiced Rum Punch
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 Mexican cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 (25 1/4-ounce) bottle sparkling cider (about 3 1/4 cups), chilled
- 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
- 1 (1-liter) bottle club soda
- 1 cup dark rum
- Bring the orange zest, cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, water, and sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat and then simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding the solids.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with the spiced syrup in a punch bowl and stir. Add ice before serving.