I am a snacker. I love to snacks. But of course you have to be careful with the snacks you eat because you can ruin your dinner (as my mother would say). Healthy snacks are always good and fruit snacks are the perfect healthy snack. I am quit fond of fruit snacks myself. They are great for traveling, at the gym for a quick energy boost or for just something sweet.
Here is a recipe for homemade fruit snacks!
Gummy Fruit Snacks
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (apple, cranberry, blueberry, whatever!)
- 2 envelopes gelatin (1 envelope = 2 1/2 tsp)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the berries and water. Bring to a boil and cook until berries are soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree berries until smooth. Return to pot. Add applesauce and return to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over fruit juice and let stand one minute. Add hot fruit mixture and stir until gelatin completely dissolves, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour into 8 x 8 inch glass or ceramic baking dish (or into molds, if you want to do that and have some molds).
- Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Cut into blocks or shapes. (Shapes are more fun :) )
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
Tortilla chips are one my favorite snacks. Crispy and salty (or sweet) you definitely can’t go wrong with tortilla chips. As a gluten free gal (or guy) you have to be careful with the tortilla chips that you buy because they may contain wheat/gluten ingredients so always remember to read the labels! What if you could skip the chip aisle and make your own chips at home! Sounds that a tasty idea.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
You get to season them to your chip which is the perfect opportunity to get creative – you can make Italian Tortilla Chips (Italian seasoning, garlic + parmesan), Southwestern Lime Chips (Southwest seasoning + a sprinkle of lime juice) or Sweet Tortilla Chips (sprinkle with cinnamon + sugar). Plus, they are baked, not fried!
- Corn Tortillas (make sure they are gluten free!)
- Olive Oil Mister or Pam Spray
- Kosher Salt
- Seasoning of your choice: try Penzey’s Southwest seasoning OR lime juice OR make it sweet by adding cinnamon & sugar (sweet is definitely my favorite)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spray each side of the tortilla with Olive Oil/Pam. Use a fair amount for crispiness. Sprinkle one side with Kosher salt and seasoning.
- Stack tortillas and cut into fourths for large chips or eighths for smaller chips. Place in a varying pattern on cookie sheet. Cooking Tip: Do not crowd the chips, leave ample space in between chips or they will not get crispy.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Begin to check on the chips at around 8 minutes. If your oven heats unevenly, you may have to flip the pan halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve with your favorite dip or snack on them without!
Quick snack tip! If you haven’t tried PopCorners then I highly recommend them! PopCorners are the new shape of popcorn that are all natural, delicious, light and most importantly gluten-free. They are the world’s first popcorn chip that are available in five great flavors (Butter, White Cheddar, Sea Salt, Kettle and Cheesy Jalapeno), all of which are gluten-free. PopCorners don’t get stuck in your teeth, they don’t get your hands greasy and there are not kernels to clean up!
I first stumbled upon PopCorners at my alma mater, Quinnipiac University which had a pretty good gluten-free snack selection (and gluten-free pizza and bread and bagels but I’m rambling). I tried the classic butter flavor and was pleasantly surprised. They are light, crunchy and yet do not lack flavor. You still get the movie theater butter taste without the mess.
I really enjoy PopCorners and they are the perfect snack if you are craving anything buttery or sweet or a combination of both! Try the classic butter or simple sea salt with salsa (my personal favorite dip to eat them with) or just by themselves!
So sit back, open up a bag and ENJOY!