Being dairy free does not mean you have to eat food that is taste free. I have started to realize that you can get that same rich and creamy taste that butter and milk offers in dishes without using milk and butter. The trick is to find what suits your tastes. Here is my favorite way to make mashed potatoes sans milk and butter.
- 4 medium size baking potatoes or 2 large baking potatoes – peeled and sliced
- 2 quarts of water
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 Canola or Olive Oil
- 1/4 Toasted Sesame Oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Pour water into medium pot and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to water.
- Peel and cut up potatoes and add them to boiling water.
- Bring water back to a boil and stir then bring to a simmer.
- Simmer and cook potatoes until potatoes are soft.
- Drain water and pour into medium mixing bowl.
- In the medium mixing bowl, add canola oil, toasted sesame oil and salt to taste and mix until potatoes are smooth.
- Mix in pepper to taste until potatoes are smooth and creamy
Serve with your favorite entree and vegetables and refrigerate leftovers.