Tis the season to heat up the oven and whip up some sweet treats! Fa la la la la, la la la YUM! There are 25 days until Christmas and that’s 25 days of holiday recipes to try out! Just like ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas, I am having my 25 Days of Yummy! YAY!
The first is the ever popular snickerdoodle cookie! I love the smell of cinnamon and sugar baking up in the oven as it fills up your whole house. Full of sweet cinnamon flavor, your cookie jar will be glad to be filled up with these delicious delights, and emptied out just as fast as they popped out of the oven.
Gluten-Free Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon xantham gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I used Crisco brand)
- 3/4 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Madagascar vanilla)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice dream
- 2 tablespoons fine granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- PREHEAT oven to 375F
- LINE 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- WHISK together first 5 dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- COMBINE butter and shortening in a small bowl until blended smooth.
- ADD white and brown sugars. Blend until combined.
- ADD egg and vanilla extract. Mix , scraping down sides of bowl with spatula when needed.
- SLOWLY add 1/2 dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Blend until combined
- ADD rice dream. Blend.
- ADD remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- IN SEPARATE SMALL BOWL, combine sugar and cinnamon
- TAKE A HEAPING TEASPOON of dough per cookie, roll into a ball then roll thoroughly in sugar/cinnamon mix. Continue until all dough is used up – should give you 22-24 cookies.
- PLACE cookies 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- BAKE for 10 minutes
- LET COOL on cookie sheets for 10 minutes
- REMOVE from cookie sheets and allow to cool another 10 minutes on cooling rack.
I’ll give you a hint for Day 2 of yummy – it’s classic chocolate…any guesses?!