On the fifth day of yummy, Kwegyirba gave to me, a yummy tangy drink to try with all my delicious cookies! Time to switch it up! Thanks to Aaron Sanchez of the Food Network, this punch will be a perfect addition to any holiday party or cookie swap (where you can show off all of your delicious cookies and other desserts).
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 Mexican cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 (25 1/4-ounce) bottle sparkling cider (about 3 1/4 cups), chilled
- 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
- 1 (1-liter) bottle club soda
- 1 cup dark rum
- Bring the orange zest, cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, water, and sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat and then simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding the solids.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with the spiced syrup in a punch bowl and stir. Add ice before serving.