No flour, no butter and still all delicious, these deep dark chocolate cookies will quickly become one of your favorites. You may be saying to yourself, “but I already HAVE a chocolate cookie recipe!” But come on now, can you ever really have to much chocolate? I thought not!
Since there is no butter or flour in this particular recipe, these treat will be chewy and a little more dense then a normal cookie but just as sweet and sure to tame that chocolate craving that you might be having. (now or in the near future)
Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces), divided – gluten free/dairy free of course
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – dairy free
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a glass bowl (microwave safe!) in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring twice. Cool slightly.
- Beat whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks. (using an electric mixer is probably the best method to do this). Gradually beat in 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Continue beating until the mixture resembles a soft marshmallow cream.
- Whisk 1 cup of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl until throughly blended.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the egg white and powdered sugar mixture. Stir in the lukewarm chocolate and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. (the dough will become very stiff)
- Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon of dough into a ball; roll ball in the powdered sugar, coating thickly. Place of the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the balls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes; until cookies are puffed up and cracked at the top.
- Cool baking sheets on wire rack for about 10 mintues. Transfer cookies to wire rack to completely cool.