On this green Monday, 13 days until Christmas, I bring you a minty chocolately treat. I love candy canes. That sweet peppermint taste is one of those things I look forward to this time of year. I can remember going to my grandma’s house throughout the holiday season and eat the candy canes off the christmas tree. Many popular candy cane brands such as Spangler and Bob’s are gluten free and are perfect to add that extra crunch and flavor to your favorite brownies or cookies.
Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candy canes (or favorite peppermint candy), divided
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan with foil or parchment paper; grease and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat oil and sugar. Stir in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons peppermint candy canes for garnish; stir remaining candy into creamed mixture.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Sprinkle with reserved candy.
- Monday Funday – Candy Cane Martini (foodfashionfeathersfancies.wordpress.com)