Time to tap into some southern charm. There is some part of me that wants to live down south and soak up every single bit of southern hospitality. Let’s start with baking. Southern baking is amazing! Red velvet cake, hummingbird cake and coca cola cake. Yes. Coca Cola Cake. Once again pinterest has opened the doors to a new tasty cake made with classic Coca Cola.
Coca Cola Cake
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Toll House or Hershey’s are the best)
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line the pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper up and set aside.
- Whisk together gluten free flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and xanthan gum.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, stir together 1 cup buttery spread, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup Coca Cola and 1/2 cup rice milk and bring to a boil.
- Take the buttery spread mixture off heat and add to the flour mixture and whisk together until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake come out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
This southern tradition is sure to become tradition at your home during the holiday season. Many recipes for this cake include a chocolate frosting made with Coke. If you would like to try it here it is:
- 1/2 cup buttery spread
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coca cola
- 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- When cake is nearly done make the glaze by mixing in saucepan the buttery spread, cocoa powder and coca cola.
- Once that boils, remove and slowly stir in confectioners’ sugar until nice and smooth.
- Once the cake is done and out of oven, pour the warm glaze right over the top of the hot cake!
- Let glaze set a little before cutting your first slice and ENJOY!