Made with Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix this delicious treat is easy to make. Follow the directions on the box and add 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar and a dash of apple pie spice (I added a bit more than a dash) and bake as directed! No need for frosting!
Sugar, spice, and everything nice! It’s Christmas Eve and you know what that means! We have to leave cookies out for Santa Claus! What cookie will I be leaving out tonight you ask? Gingerbread of course! I found a great gingerbread man recipe that is gluten free and I tweaked it a lil bit to make it dairy free as well! 🙂 And Santa is going to get two cookies for the price of one! We’ll also make some soft ginger cookies! So start tracking Santa if you haven’t already and lets get to it!
Gingerbread Men Cookies
- 3 cups blanched almond flour or your favorite gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup molasses (molasses is a key ingredient to getting the classic “gingerbread cookie” flavor and color.)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons palm shortening
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- gingerbread men/holiday cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a sauce pan, heat molasses to a boil.
- Add maple syrup, palm shortening, and coconut milk to sauce pan.
- Stir ingredients until combined, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet, and mix with a wooden spoon until batter is fully blended.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper, until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut batter with cookie cutters of choice.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Let cool, decorate as desired, and enjoy.
Each gingerbread cookie is going to need a delicious frosting!! Here is a quick and easy cinnamon frosting to jazz up those cookies!
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Blend all ingredients with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to a week to use again for another delicious batch of your favorite cookies!
Soft Ginger Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttery spread, softened (Earth Balance is great!)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the buttery spread and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Refrigerate the dough sit for a good 40-50 minutes before rolling into cookie form, otherwise you’ll just be playing with a big gooey mess.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Santa is sure to be in for a treat. Who know, maybe you’ll get an extra special something for leaving him not one but TWO delicious cookies!!
BUT WAIT! what about the reindeer? Sure, reindeer can’t have cookies and cakes but you CAN make reindeer inspired cupcakes with a reindeer’s favorite treat. Yup. Carrot Cupcakes!
Reindeer Cakes (Carrot Cupcakes)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 c. shortening (Spectrum Organic palm oil shortening)
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Up to 1/8 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake pans with festive cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Time for frosting!
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly add in water until consistency is thick, smooth, and spreadable.
- Top your cooled cupcakes with the delicious frosting and eat up!
NOW we’re really set for Santa. Enjoy!!