This isn’t the first time I’ve talked about General Mills Gluten Free Chex and it’s not going to be the last. You know I love to snack. Recently, I have been taking gluten free Honey Nut Chex to snack on at work. But I need to switch it up. I still want that great crunchy, sweet and salty taste but I also want to try something new. Here are two wonderful recipes featuring my favorite chex.
- 8 cups gluten freeRice Chex cereal
- 1 bag (3 oz) fat-free butter-flavor microwave popcorn, popped
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or a little more if you want an extra kick)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 300°F. In very large bowl, mix cereal, popcorn and peanuts. Drizzle with oil; toss until evenly coated.
- In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; sprinkle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated. Spread cereal mixture in ungreased large roasting pan.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes, stirring once. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container.
There’s the spicy. Now for the sweet!
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger or cardamom
- 6 cups gluten free Rice Chex cereal or Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 1 cup sweet plantain chips (I LOVE plantain chips but only the sweet ones – you cannot find plantain chips you can use plain dried banana chips)
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 250°F. Spray large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. In 1-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, buttery spread, honey and ginger to boiling. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Into roasting pan, measure cereal, banana chips, almonds and coconut. Stir in brown sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper or foil; cool about 15 minutes. Place in serving bowl; stir in cranberries. Store in airtight container.
Oh Chex, you’ve done it again. Two great snacks everyone can enjoy! (or keep to yourself- whatever you decide)