Happy New Year! Wow. 2012. New Year. Instead of making a new year’s resolution this year, I decided to keep doing what I have been doing. Eating healthy and keeping myself happy. Without your health, you can’t do all the things you want to do. Health is key! I will continue to post delicious recipes and delectable desserts that are good for you! Gluten free, dairy free but definitely not taste free! Let’s start it off right!
Chicken is delicious. Chicken with a crunch is even more delicious! This recipe uses Rice Chex as the crunchy coating!
- 1/4 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), melted
- 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Gluten Free Rice Chex cereal, crushed (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (or more)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 3/4 lb) – You can also use skinless drumsticks.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. In shallow dish, mix 2 tablespoons of the buttery spread, the rice milk, chives, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- In another shallow dish, mix crushed cereal, parsley and paprika. Dip chicken into rice milk mixture, then coat lightly and evenly with cereal mixture. Place in pan. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons buttery spread.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F).
- Serve with your favorite sides!
How about a side of rosemary roasted potatoes?
This recipe is great and also works GREAT with sweet potatoes! We have this as a side a lot at my house!
- 1 1/2 pounds small red or white-skinned potatoes (or a mixture)
- 1/8 cup your favorite olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes in half or quarters and place in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary; toss until the potatoes are well coated.
- Dump the potatoes on a baking sheet and spread out into 1 layer; roast in the oven for at least 1 hour, or until browned and crisp.
- Flip twice with a spatula during cooking to ensure even browning.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, season to taste, and serve.
For this new year what about a joyful cookie to ring in the new year right?!
It’s like eating an almond joy candy bar in a cookie form! YUM! Chocolate, coconuts and almonds OH MY!
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix
- 1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut and the almonds; mix well.
- Roll dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. Dough will be sticky. Roll balls in remaining coconut until well coated. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to wire rack. Cool completely. Store covered at room temperature.
Cooking tip: if you don’t have toasted almonds, heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in ungreased shallow pan. Bake 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
Happy New Year everyone!!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.