Rocky Road ice cream is delicious! But alas since becoming gluten free and dairy free, rocky road is out of my reach. So what about a Rocky Road bar sans the ice cream?! Say hello to the ooey gooey rocky road bar. (thank you Betty Crocker gluten free cookie mix for this solution to my rocky road problems! – if only there was a gluten free sugar cookie mix from Betty)
Ooey-Gooey Rocky Road Bars
- 1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free chocolate chip cookie mix
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups semisweet dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. In large bowl, mix butter, egg, vanilla, and sugars until blended. Stir in cookie mix until soft dough forms. Press dough evenly in pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and center puffs slightly. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Gently spread chocolate evenly over top of cookie.
- Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle nuts and marshmallows over melted chocolate. Broil with top 5 to 6 inches from heat 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely; marshmallows will brown quickly.) Cool 30 to 45 minutes to serve warm or cool completely, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows so everyone gets a delicious piece! Store tightly covered.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.