A favorite among Bisquick users including myself, this crumb cake using Gluten Free Bisquick is great for an extra special sweet breakfast or a simply sweet dessert.
Velvet Crumb Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond, coconut, or rice milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening (Or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the Coconut Topping:
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
Add a handful of chocolate chips or butterscotch chips to the topping for a decadent finish. Or dust the some powdered sugar.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan or 8-inch square pan. In large bowl, beat Bisquick mix, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup milk, shortening, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool slightly.
- In small bowl, mix coconut, brown sugar, optional nuts, margarine and 2 tablespoons milk. Spread topping over cake. Set oven control to broil. Broil about 3 inches from heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown.