We’ve all had and heard of sugar cookies. But what about brown sugar cookies? These cookies kind of remind me of blondies (which my brother literally GOBBLED up the same day I made them…they will be made again). They are simple and sweet and definitely addictive.
- 14 tablespoons unsalted buttery spread, such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread (yes 14. It’s a very buttery cookie)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 10 tablespoons buttery spread until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, about 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons of buttery spread into the browned butter to melt; set aside and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While the butter is cooling, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In shallow dish, mix together granulated sugar and ¼ cup packed brown sugar, until well combined, set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1¾ cup brown sugar and salt to bowl with the now cooled butter. Use the paddle attachment and mix on medium-low speed there aren’t any lumps of sugar, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of your bowl with a rubber spatula; add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of your bowl again. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball between your palms then roll the ball in the sugar mixture. Place ball onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart because they will spread.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Bake until the cookies are browned and puffy, and the edges have just started to set, but the centers are still soft. The cookies may look raw in the centers.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer the cookies to the cooling rack to cool completely.
These are definitely on my baking list for tomorrow! Sweet browned buttery goodness :) Can’t beat that.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.