Tortilla chips are one my favorite snacks. Crispy and salty (or sweet) you definitely can’t go wrong with tortilla chips. As a gluten free gal (or guy) you have to be careful with the tortilla chips that you buy because they may contain wheat/gluten ingredients so always remember to read the labels! What if you could skip the chip aisle and make your own chips at home! Sounds that a tasty idea.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
You get to season them to your chip which is the perfect opportunity to get creative – you can make Italian Tortilla Chips (Italian seasoning, garlic + parmesan), Southwestern Lime Chips (Southwest seasoning + a sprinkle of lime juice) or Sweet Tortilla Chips (sprinkle with cinnamon + sugar). Plus, they are baked, not fried!
- Corn Tortillas (make sure they are gluten free!)
- Olive Oil Mister or Pam Spray
- Kosher Salt
- Seasoning of your choice: try Penzey’s Southwest seasoning OR lime juice OR make it sweet by adding cinnamon & sugar (sweet is definitely my favorite)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spray each side of the tortilla with Olive Oil/Pam. Use a fair amount for crispiness. Sprinkle one side with Kosher salt and seasoning.
- Stack tortillas and cut into fourths for large chips or eighths for smaller chips. Place in a varying pattern on cookie sheet. Cooking Tip: Do not crowd the chips, leave ample space in between chips or they will not get crispy.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Begin to check on the chips at around 8 minutes. If your oven heats unevenly, you may have to flip the pan halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve with your favorite dip or snack on them without!