One bite of this crunchy chocolatey peanut butter popcorn brittle and you’ll be itching to make more! Popcorn, caramel, M & Ms are the perfect combination!
- 1 bag microwave popcorn
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Remove all unpopped kernels. Spread popped corn evenly in 15×10-inch nonstick shallow baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with M&M’s; set aside.
- Place sugar, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Add peanuts. Cook an additional 2 minutes or to the hard-crack stage, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add baking soda and mix well. Note: Hard-crack stage, 300 to 310°F on a candy thermometer, is when a small amount of boiling sugar syrup, dropped into very cold water, separates into hard brittle threads.
- Immediately pour caramel mixture evenly over popped corn and candy until coated. Do not stir. Let stand 30 minutes or until caramel has cooled and hardened.
- Break into pieces.