IT’S SUPER BOWL SUNDAY! I’ve got just a few more recipes for you before Puppy Bowl VIII! (who can resist puppies!!)
At your Super Bowl Party, you may have some guests who aren’t fans of buffalo wings (why? who knows but they are out there). Why not tantalize their tastebuds with some Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings!
Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings and drums
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup honey, divided
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (this stuff is HOT and I love it!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a large broiler pan with foil and place a metal rack on top of the foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse the wings in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange wings on pan and season with pepper.
- Place wings in oven and set timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove the wings from the oven and brush the wings with ½ cup honey. Be sure to glaze both side of the wings, using metal tongs to turn.
- Place wings back into the oven, set the timer for 30 minutes, and prepare the sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine melted vegan butter, remaining 1/2 cup of honey, Frank’s Red Hot, Sriracha, cayenne, and garlic powder; whisk to combine.
- While the wings are baking, periodically baste both sides of the wings with the sauce (about every ten minutes). Once the timer goes off, turn up the heat up to 400º F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite Super Bowl sides like some baked french fries!
HMMM…FRIES! You gotta have fries with wings! (Or at least I do!)
Garlicky Baked French Fries
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 russet potatoes (about 8oz each), each cut into 12 wedges
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch/cornflour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 440° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl (that has a lid) , warming it until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to the baking dish, coating it well.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss to coat. Close the bowl tightly with the lid and microwave on high until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Garnish with some fresh parsley.
- Serve with ketchup, or mayo or your favorite dipping sauce.
The countdown to game time has started. Puppy Bowl starts at 3:00pm ET and the main event SUPER BOWL XLVI begins at 6:30pm ET.
So, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?! I know I am!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney. (and she’s rooting for the Giants tonight!)