It’s (still unfortunately) winter time. Yea I am officially finished with winter, BRING ON THE SNOW!! Nothing beats the chilly winter nights or rainy winter days like a nice cup of hot chocolate and a good book. I am in the mood for something a little different that just run of the mill hot chocolate. Hot chocolate will always be delicious no matter what (nothing beats a classic right?) but how about some WHITE hot chocolate with the delicious twist of cinnamon? Hmmm yea cinnamon would be nice. Maybe brown sugar, a little caramel? Sounds like some of the ingredients to a yummy cinnamon bun! YES! Cinnamon Bun White Hot Chocolate.
Cinnamon Bun White Hot Chocolate
The overwhelming flavor is cinnamon, with a nice vanilla undertone and a caramelized flavor from the brown sugar. It’s a fun change from regular hot chocolate. This almost reminds me of the Starbucks White Hot Chocolate but this version has all the cinnamony goodness of a cinnamon bun AND its gluten and dairy free!
- 2 cups almond milk (you can use rice milk if you like)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, coarsely broken
- 4 ounces good-quality, gluten free white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rice whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans or candied pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
- Combine the milk and the broken cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring the milk to a simmer. Once simmering, remove the pan from the heat, cover it with a lid, and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to infuse the milk with cinnamon flavor.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cinnamon sticks and return the saucepan of milk to medium heat. Add the chopped white chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla bean paste, salt, and ground cinnamon. Heat, whisking frequently, until the milk is hot and the white chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour into two mugs to serve. Garnish with your choice of whipped cream, additional cinnamon, toasted or candied pecans, or a drizzle of caramel sauce. (Or all of the above!) I would go with of the above!
Great…now I want a cinnamon bun 🙂
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.