I was thinking about taking a trip to Azure Chocolat sometime this week because I need some marshmallows dipped in chocolate. They MAKE their own marshmallows! MAKE THEM FROM SCRATCH! Why the caps? BECAUSE THEY ARE DELICIOUS! AND DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE! Made from scratch marshmallows with a hint of rose dipped in delicious chocolate. But, if you don’t live on Long Island and cannot get to Azure Chocolate (I’m sorry), you can make your own marshmallows. Marshmallows are pretty easy to make and they can be a vehicle for a lot of great taste. While I may not make them as good as they do at Azure Chocolat, these can come pretty close.
Toasted Coconut Marshmallows
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cupsgranulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 7 ounces sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle half the toasted coconut in an 8 by 12-inch nonmetal pan. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Sprinkle on the remaining toasted coconut. Allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.
- Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares. Roll the sides of each piece carefully in confectioners’ sugar. Store uncovered at room temperature.
Now you have delicious marshmallows perfect for hot chocolate, cupcake topping, cakes, cookies or just to pop one by one in your mouth! 🙂