I know National Margarita Day was yesterday but another recipe to add to your margarita selection couldn’t hurt. Variety is the spice of life!
Italian Amaretto Margaritas
Amaretto gives this drink a fun twist! Frosty glasses rimmed with amaretto and sugar make this drink even better.
- 4 fluid ounces amaretto liqueur, plus additional
- white sugar
- 6 fluid ounces frozen limeade concentrate
- 6 fluid ounces tequila
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 cups ice
- lemon and lime wedge for garnish
- Dip the rims of 4 margarita glasses in amaretto, then into sugar; set aside.
- Pour the limeaid, tequila, amaretto, orange juice, and ice into the bowl of a blender.
- Puree until smooth, then pour into prepared glasses.
- Garnish with lemon and lime wedges.
ENJOY! REMEMBER DRINK RESPONSIBLY!
I’m still in a Cajun state of mind guys! Cannot get enough of those delicious flavors!
Crawfish Beignets with Spicy Remoulade
This is definitely a recipe that will wow whoever is sitting at your table! Yes, it’s a LOT of ingredients, but A LOT of great flavor! Don’t be intimidated, it will be delicious! For vegetarian Cajun beignets, simply eliminate the crawfish and increase the amount of red peppers and scallions by approximately 1 cup (this measurement includes both vegetables).
For the Beignets:
- 10 ounces crawfish, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon if you want more heat!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely diced
- 3 scallions, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 dashes Tobasco
- Vegetable, Canola or Peanut Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
For the Rémoulade:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cornichons, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- First, make the rémoulade. In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cornichons, parsley, capers, tarragon, shallots, vinegar, paprika, Tabasco, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and set aside.
- Next, make the beignets. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced red pepper and cook until soft, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the gluten free flour, salt, baking powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Add the water, scallions, crawfish, red pepper and garlic, stirring well to combine.
- Cover with a damp towel and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or a heavy pot, heat 2-3 inches of oil until it reaches 350ºF. Drop the crawfish batter by small spoonfuls into the oil and fry until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer beignets to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the beignets warm with lemon wedges and rémoulade for dipping.
Spicy crawfish. Now that is southern, down home goodness!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.