Cinnamon rolls are delicious! No secrets there! In the autumn and winter cinnamon rolls are great to have on hand in the freezer for whenever! It is a nice treat to serve on a chilly morning with a mug of tea or hot chocolate.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
These gluten free dairy free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls are a twist on that tradition. The pumpkin in the dough really helps keep the rolls moist and fresh, which can sometimes be a problem with gluten free baking.
For the Dough
- 1/3 cup warmed coconut milk
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour, finely ground
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Icing
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Liberally grease 2 8 inch round pans. Set aside.
- Put yeast in warm coconut milk and sugar. Set aside until foamy. Stir in olive oil, vanilla extract and first amount of pumpkin puree.
- In bowl of your mixer, mix together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Gradually combine yeast mixture into dry ingredients until a very sticky elastic dough is formed, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Turn dough ball out onto a piece of lightly oiled plastic wrap that has been taped to your countertop. With well oiled hands pat dough out into a rectangle.
- Use the oiled plastic wrap to help roll the dough.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Gently spread the first amount of softened vegan butter in an even layer on top of dough, and then sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
- Using the plastic wrap to help, carefully roll the dough. Slice the rolls and carefully place them into the 8 inch greased round pans, leaving about an inch between each roll. Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place for about 45 min.
- Use clean thread or dental floss (yes dental floss) to cut cinnamon rolls. Slide the floss under rolled dough, cross the floss over the dough and pull, making the cut.
- To make pumpkin icing, cream together the pumpkin puree and second measurement of vegan butter. Slowly incorporate powdered sugar until icing becomes stiff and spreadable, using more or less depending on your preference.
- When rolls have risen, bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350ºF degree oven. Cool.
- Frost with icing.
Place cooled rolls into gallon sized freezer bag(s). Remove as much air as possible. Label and freeze.
To serve: Thaw. Heat through slightly, as desired.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.