What?! EVERYDAY chocolate cake!? YES! This recipe reminds me a LOT of Enteman’s loaf cake which my dad and I would devour whenever it was in the house. Everyday chocolate is a very extra special treat and will definitely make you smile.
Everyday Chocolate Cake
A cake that you can have without much guilt and without much fuss! YEA they exist and this one is it!
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond, coconut or rice milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter)
- 3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder (Hershey’s)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven at 325ºF. Take a loaf pan that is 9 by 5 inch and grease or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and beat well.Mix the vanilla and buttermilk. Beat well to mix in.
- Sift the flour,cocoa,soda,baking powder and salt directly into this wet mixture.
- Stir everything together using a wooden/silicone spatula until everything is mixed well.
- Pour this batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for a few minutes before you transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Serve it as it is with some powdered sugar dusted on top or with some whipped cream.
A recipe should make you want to dig right in just by the name alone sometimes. So when I came across a recipe for honey muffins, I thought two things. One – can I make these gluten free? Two – these sound delicious. It’s not hard to make a recipe gluten free. As you know, you can just swap out the flour for an all purpose gluten free flour, and xanthan gum (sometimes – some gluten free flours, such as Better Batter – don’t require you to add xanthan gum. Others like Bob’s Red Mill do). But then you have to think, what KIND of flour. Sometime you may need a sweet sorghum flour, or an almond flour. There are a LOT of different flours out there that are tasty AND good for you! Test them out!
Inspired by One Perfect Bite. For these particular muffins, Better Batter is the way to go (in my opinion but if you test another flour and they taste delicious LET ME KNOW!)
- 2 cups Better Batter Gluten Free (All Purpose Flour Mix)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup good honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease or line standard muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine egg, milk, butter and honey in a small bowl.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full with batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
Nice, simple and delicious! I like recipes like this the most. Easy to make, not a lot of prep or bake time and they yield deliciously simple results. Pair with your favorite jam or jelly and a nice cup of tea or coffee and you are all set. (For an extra touch of sweetness, drizzle with some honey 🙂 )
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.