I know it’s almost 2 pm here on Long Island but that doesn’t mean you can’t think about breakfast! I am a breakfast and dessert gal. Any kind of cake like recipe is perfect for breakfast and can be delicious for dinner too! (Have breakfast for dinner as a treat!) These coconut banana fritters are perfect for just such occasion!
The coconut and banana flavors play wonderfully with each other for a delectable taste. Not a huge fan of coconuts? No problem! You can make these into regular banana fritters and use rice or almond milk in place of coconut milk.
- Clean peanut or canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup chopped, packed ripe bananas (approximately 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (such as Better Batter or Bob’s Red Mill – both great)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for serving
- Fill a Dutch oven or cast iron pot with a few inches of peanut or canola oil and heat on medium-high until it reaches 375°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the bananas, flour, cornstarch, coconut, sugar, baking powder, and salt, followed by the egg yolks, coconut milk, and vanilla. Combine the mixture using a potato masher until it becomes a thick yet viscous batter, adding more milk—tablespoon by tablespoon—if necessary.
- Using a spring-form ice cream scoop to form the fritters, carefully lower 4 – 5 dollops of batter into the hot fry oil at a time. Cook, flipping once, until the fritters are a nice golden brown, approximately 2 – 3 minutes. Remove the fritters with a slotted spoon, shaking off excess oil back into the pot, and place on a paper-towel lined sheet pan to cool.
- Continue with the remaining batches, making sure to return the oil to 375° in between batches. Let fritters cool for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle generously with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.