Light potato fritters with a lemony sauce perfect to serve for a St.Patrick’s Day party appetizer!
For the Fritters
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 package regular active dry yeast
- 1 lb fresh russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Lemon Aioli
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In small bowl, mix warm water, 2 tablespoons flour and the yeast. Stir; let stand in warm place about 30 minutes or until small bubbles form.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix aioli ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In 3-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with water; lightly salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook potatoes about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash potatoes with fork. Cool about 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat eggs and olive oil with whisk; stir in salt, pepper, lemon peel and sage. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix mashed potatoes with yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Stir in egg mixture until well blended. Cover with towel and set in warm place about 1 1/2 hours or until potato mixture is double in size.
- In deep fryer or 4-quart Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil (2 to 3 inches) to 350°F. Drop potato mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; serve warm with aioli.
Love perfect party appetizers like this!