This recipe also works for cakes, mini cupcakes, whoopie pies! Do what you want to do!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter so that you don’t have to add any xanthan gum)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (Hershey’s is great)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or a buttermilk substitute:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut or rice milk
- 1/2 or 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 oz green food coloring (yes a whole bottle! You’re going for a deep forest green color)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Line your muffin/cupcake tins with festive paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly stir eggs with a whisk. Then add in remaining liquid ingredients. Whisk until blended and set aside.
- Place all dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Pour all of the green food coloring into the wet ingredients. (If you have little ones, have them do this part – it’s a lot of fun to make colored batter – it’s still fun for me and I’m 22. It will always be fun.)
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix for about a minute or two until well combined and that nice deep forest green color.
- Pour you batter into your cupcake tins about 2/3 full. They will puff up nicely.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean.
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pans and transfer to a wire rack for them to cool completely. Cupcakes do not frost well when they are hot!
Frost with your favorite frosting – can or from scratch! Here is a scratch recipe that is great!
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening (Spectrum Organic palm oil shortening or Earth Balance Shortening)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Up to 1/8 cup water
Slowly add in water until consistency is thick, smooth, and spreadable
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.