It’s almost that time of year. Grilling season. Well technically, the weather has been so nice lately that some of you may have been grilling already. Some of you may have indoor grills (I definitely need one) Shrimp is a fabulous food to grill. Small, perfect for skewers and tons of flavor!
Sweet and Spicy Honey Grilled Shrimp
- 2-2 1/2 lb. raw, shelled, de-veined shrimp. (Tiger Shrimp are great).
- 1 tablespoon minced or pressed garlic
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup hot chili garlic paste
- 1/2 cup sweet chili garlic paste
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- Skewers to thread shrimp
- Rinse shrimp in cold water and place in a large Ziploc bag.
- Combine garlic, ginger, both chili pastes, honey, lime juice, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade.
- Pour remaining mixture over shrimp and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.
- When ready to cook, thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Preheat outdoor grill. This should really should be done outside because they get VERY smokey! When grill is hot, reduce heat to low and quickly place all skewers over the heat. Brush with reserved marinade. When they’ve cooked for 1 1/2-2 minutes, quickly flip them over and brush or drizzle with remaining marinade. Cook for another 1 1/2-2 minutes, or until opaque and pink.
- Remember, shrimp cook QUICKLY. You want to be careful not to overcook them.
- Remove skewers from grill and remove shrimp from skewers. Pile them on a plate, drizzle with any remaining reserved marinade, and squeeze the juice from a lime all over them.
- Serve with rice or french fries any of your other favorite sides!