Today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. It is ALSO Founder’s Day for my sorority Alpha Delta Pi! 161 years of being the first and the finest sorority! How fun that on our founders day is also a perfect day to bake delicious chocolate chip goodies! I’ve already posted a few chocolate chip goodies in the past. So today, I decided to get creative with the classic chocolate chip cookie!
First up, Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes! (now there’s a mouthful!)
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Adapted from Java Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter, melted (Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut or rice milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut or rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Garnish
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate chip cookies (optional)
- In a small bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugars, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes or until firm.
- Scoop out dough into 12 balls. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- While your cookie dough balls are in the freezer, make your cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the water, oil, egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 1/2-2/3 full.
- Take your cookie dough balls out of the freezer and gently press a one ball into the center of each cupcake, only submerging the ball 1/2 way.
- Bake the cupcakes for 19-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake portion of the cupcake (not tested through the center where the dough is), comes out fairly dry. Chunks/pieces of cake are okay, just not moist batter.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- To make your frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add the flour, milk and vanilla and beat on high until well combined.
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top!
ENJOY this cupcake take with a classic cookie!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.