Chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter 🙂 Delicious combination perfect for National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!
Peanut Butter Cookie Candy Bars
For the Cookie Base:
- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free chocolate chip cookie mix
- Butter, pure vanilla extract and egg called for on cookie mix box (I use Earth Balance Vegan Butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I add more chocolate chips to the cookie mix for some extra chocolate but you do not have to)
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
For the Caramel Layer:
- 1 bag caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups dry-roasted peanuts
For the Topping:
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Make cookie dough as directed on box, using vegan butter, vanilla, egg, sugar and extra chocolate chips.
- In ungreased 13 x 9-inch pan, press dough evenly. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat all filling ingredients except powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until well blended (filling will be thick).
- Press filling over cookie base.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave caramels and 2 tablespoons water uncovered on High 2 to 4 minutes, stirring twice, until caramels are melted. Stir in peanuts.
- Spread evenly over filling. Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until caramel layer is firm.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring once, until melted.
- Spread evenly over caramel layer. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chocolate is set.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows.
- Store any leftovers covered at room temperature.