You gotta have a snack for Puppy Bowl VIII! How about some Puppy Chow?
Puppy Chow aka Chex Muddy Buddies combines crunchy Chex with chocolate and peanut butter! It’s pretty doggone good!🙂
- 9 cups Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Chocolate Chex and Honey Nut Chex cereal (you want a combination of all of them 2 1/4 cups of each)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and vegan butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Pour into favorite snack bowl and chow down.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator. (I doubt there will be any leftovers!)
FINALLY I a yummy cookie pizza recipe using gluten free rice chex!
Chex Cookie Pizza
Here is a sweet pizza treat that is fun to decorate and eat! You can use your favorite candy to decorate your pizza! Use different chocolates, nuts and miniature candy bars to make it just the way you like it!
- 4 cups Gluten Free Rice Chex cereal. (Rice, Cinnamon or Honey Nut or for a chocolate crust Chocolate Chex!)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup miniature gluten free semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped honey-roasted peanuts, if desired
- 1 or 2 rolls Fruit Roll-Ups chewy fruit snack (any red variety), unwrapped, torn into pieces
- Heat oven to 375°F. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin.
- In large bowl, mix sugars, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and egg. Stir in crushed cereal. Spread in ungreased 12-inch pizza pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. (You want to watch the crust because if its overcooked it will be very crunchy!
- Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows to within 1 inch of edge. Bake 5 minutes longer or until marshmallows are light golden brown.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, peanuts and fruit snack pieces over marshmallows to look like pizza toppings. Cool completely on cooling rack. Cut into 16 wedges. Store tightly covered.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
This isn’t the first time I’ve talked about General Mills Gluten Free Chex and it’s not going to be the last. You know I love to snack. Recently, I have been taking gluten free Honey Nut Chex to snack on at work. But I need to switch it up. I still want that great crunchy, sweet and salty taste but I also want to try something new. Here are two wonderful recipes featuring my favorite chex.
Chili and Garlic Chex Mix
- 8 cups gluten freeRice Chex cereal
- 1 bag (3 oz) fat-free butter-flavor microwave popcorn, popped
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or a little more if you want an extra kick)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 300°F. In very large bowl, mix cereal, popcorn and peanuts. Drizzle with oil; toss until evenly coated.
- In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; sprinkle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated. Spread cereal mixture in ungreased large roasting pan.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes, stirring once. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container.
There’s the spicy. Now for the sweet!
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger or cardamom
- 6 cups gluten free Rice Chex cereal or Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 1 cup sweet plantain chips (I LOVE plantain chips but only the sweet ones – you cannot find plantain chips you can use plain dried banana chips)
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 250°F. Spray large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. In 1-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, buttery spread, honey and ginger to boiling. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Into roasting pan, measure cereal, banana chips, almonds and coconut. Stir in brown sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper or foil; cool about 15 minutes. Place in serving bowl; stir in cranberries. Store in airtight container.
Oh Chex, you’ve done it again. Two great snacks everyone can enjoy! (or keep to yourself- whatever you decide)