A sugar-kissed apple pie is the PERFECT first pie recipe on this Pi(e) Day! Let’s get right to it!
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Divide pastry in half; shape each half into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Wrap flattened rounds of pastry in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until firm and cold, yet pliable.
- On lightly floured surface, roll 1 round of pastry into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate, using floured rolling pin. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- In large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar,1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg and dash of salt. Stir in apples. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over apples. Trim overhanging edge of bottom pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
- Roll other round of pastry. Fold pastry into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape; place over filling and unfold. Trim overhanging edge of top pastry 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute. Brush top crust with 1 tablespoon water; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours.
mmmm classic apple pie slightly kissed with sugar. Delicious, simple and definitely my favorite pie!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.