Food Network has great snack recipes that are easily adaptable to be gluten free/dairy free! The other day, I came across some great popcorn recipes and I thought HEY! I’ll do a little popcorn series! It first started with the Peanut Maple Popcorn. Today – Mexican Chocolate Popcorn Balls! Movie night snacks will never be the same!
Mexican Chocolate Popcorn Balls
Adapted from Food Network.com
Making these will be sticky but worth it! The mix of chocolate and spices is great!
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 cupconfectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s is great – you can use Toll House as well but I like Hershey’s cocoa powder way better)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt.
- 12 cups popcorn – popped (I suggest using a natural or light butter popcorn or even Kettle corn (my personal favorite) )
- Cinnamon Sugar for rolling
- Bring corn syrup, butter, sugar, 1 cup mini marshmallows, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, and water to a boil in a large pot over medium heat, stirring.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Remove from the heat; using a rubber spatula, stir in popcorn and 1 more cup of mini marshmallows.
- Now for the fun and sticky part – yes it will be sticky! Butter your hands, and shape mixture into balls.
- Roll formed balls in cinnamon sugar.
Who said popcorn balls were boring!?! ENJOY!
Fudge Mint Popcorn is the perfect St. Patrick’s Day snack for any party you may be throwing!
Fudge Mint Popcorn
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup regular chocolate M&Ms, divided
- 1 1/2 cup Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, chopped & divided – check out my recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegan shortening
- 1/4 cup green candy melts
- 3 tablespoons green St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles
- Combine popcorn, marshmallows, 1/2 cup chocolate candies, and 1 cup mint chocolate chip cookies pieces in a large bowl. Crush the extra 1/2 cup cookies into crumbs and set aside with the extra chocolate candies.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the white chips and shortening. Heat slowly, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour over popcorn mixture and toss until everything is coated.
- Spread out on a wax paper lined cookie tray. Sprinkle with the crushed cookies and the extra 1/4 cup chocolate candies. Let set.
- Heat the green candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Spoon into a plastic bag and cut the tip off one corner. Drizzle over the popcorn and top with sprinkles. Let set before eating.
MMMM! If you want an EXTRA pop of green – color your popped popcorn with green food coloring before combining with marshmallows!
The countdown to Valentine’s Day continues!
Chocolate and Valentine’s Day go hand in hand. Betty Crocker has gluten-free CHOCOLATE Chex that are great as a breakfast cereal and PHENOMENAL in this chex mix recipe. It’s Better than Sex Chex Mix but for everyone we will call it Good Lovin’ Chex Mix.
Good Lovin’ Chex Mix (Better than Sex Chex Mix)
The name really says it all.
- 8 cups Gluten Free Chocolate Chex cereal
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, mini size
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup caramel bits (found by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle — or chop up regular caramels)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/2 cup gluten free milk chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla (white) chocolate baking chips
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Into large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, vegan butter and corn syrup uncovered on high 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on high 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Make sure Chex mixture is cool to the touch (You need it to be cool so that the candy doesn’t melt.) Evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over Chex mixture.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and coconut milk uncovered on high about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over snack. Repeat with milk chocolate baking chips. Repeat again with vanilla (white) baking chips. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet.
- Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container.
If you wanna make an extra special dessert with this wonderful sinfully sweet treat, try creating a parfait desserts by layering the cooled Good Lovin’ Chex Mix and lightly sweetened rice whipped cream!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.