Mmmm rocky road ice cream. The chocolate. The marshmallows. Oh and who couldn’t forget the sweet crunch of the nuts? Ice cream is a great inspiration of other desserts including cookies! So put down the spoon and have some rocky road with your fingers. Licking the melted marshmallows off your hands is completely expected and totally fine.
Rocky Road Cookies
Adapted from Fifteen Spatulas.
Oooh did I mention this is a FLOURLESS cookie?! YUP!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2.5 ounces toasted almonds
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- First, toast almonds if you do not have toasted almonds. To toast almonds, heat oven to 350ºF and place almonds on foil lined baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (if you already had toasted almonds) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk in salt.
- Add egg whites and vanilla and whisk until combined and batter is smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips and almonds.
- Using a medium size cookie scoop, portion out 12 cookies on each baking sheet.
- Place 4-5 marshmallows on top of each cookie.
- Place the baking sheets in the freezer for 5 minutes (or fridge for 10-15 minutes) to chill cookies to prevent them from spreading too much in the oven.
- Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for at least 5 minutes and then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
MMM!! You are welcome chocolate lovers 🙂
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
Rocky Road ice cream is delicious! But alas since becoming gluten free and dairy free, rocky road is out of my reach. So what about a Rocky Road bar sans the ice cream?! Say hello to the ooey gooey rocky road bar. (thank you Betty Crocker gluten free cookie mix for this solution to my rocky road problems! – if only there was a gluten free sugar cookie mix from Betty)
Ooey-Gooey Rocky Road Bars
These bars can be served warm or cool. Warm bars are very yummy and the best, but are definitely ooey-gooey, so definitely serve these on a little plate with a fork.
- 1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free chocolate chip cookie mix
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups semisweet dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. In large bowl, mix butter, egg, vanilla, and sugars until blended. Stir in cookie mix until soft dough forms. Press dough evenly in pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and center puffs slightly. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Gently spread chocolate evenly over top of cookie.
- Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle nuts and marshmallows over melted chocolate. Broil with top 5 to 6 inches from heat 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely; marshmallows will brown quickly.) Cool 30 to 45 minutes to serve warm or cool completely, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows so everyone gets a delicious piece! Store tightly covered.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.