Strawberry Basil Sangria
Hello Spring! A sangria is one of the best springtime/summertime drinks! The basil gives this drink that little extra something!
- ½ lb of fresh strawberries
- 1 apple (fuji is my favorite but you can use any of your favorite sweet apple)
- 1 ounce of fresh whole basil leaves
- 1 bottle of your favorite white wine
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup of club soda
- 1 cup of white grape juice
- Trim and thinly slice the strawberries.
- Slice and dice the apple into very small bits.
- Score the basil leaves with a fork. Simply just rub the basil leaves gently with a fork in order to release their flavor in the sangria.
- Layer the fruit, sugar and basil in a large pitcher and let sit for about 10 minutes. This is just to let the sugar absorb the juices from the basil and the fruit. You’ll see it turn a bit red.
- Add the club soda first and then the remaining liquids. Stir well and serve.
Somewhere Over the Rainbow…Sangria! Good times are had! You too can enjoy warmth in winter with this colorful sangria recipe!
makes one tall glass
- 1 cup white wine
- 2-3 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple juice or another sweet juice (pear works nicely)
- 1-2 tablespoons ginger ale
- rainbow colored fruits (strawberry, tangerine, pineapple, green grapes, blackberries and blueberries)
- Add the fruit in rainbow order to a tall glass.
- Then pour in the wine and fruit juice.
- Top it off with the ginger ale.
- Duplicate with as many glasses as you have people!
Rainbow Mock-ria: You can use these same rainbow fruits for lemonade, iced tea, fruit spritzers and even fizzy spa water!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.