Who can resists zeppoles?! Little bites of fried dough deliciousness. I found a great zeppole recipe that I wanted to share with you!
Apple Cinnamon Zeppole
Adapted from Simply Gluten Free
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk – shake can well before measuring
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 large or 2 medium apples, peeled cored and grated (about 1 ½ cups) – Fuji apples have got to be my favorite apples to bake with/cook with but you can use your favorite apple.
- Cinnamon Sugar – for dusting
- Powdered Sugar – for dusting
- Crack the eggs and yolk into a liquid measuring cup or pitcher.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the oil, coconut milk, ¼ cup sugar, salt and ground cinnamon and bring just to a boil over medium heat. Stir to try and incorporate the oil into the coconut milk.
- As soon as the mixture comes to a boil turn the heat down to medium-low and dump in the sweet rice flour all at once. Stir quickly and in one direction with a wooden spoon. The liquid will start absorbing the flour and will form into a ball. Continue cooking and stirring for 1 or 2 minutes. You will see that some of the oil is separating out from the dough, don’t worry. That is ok.
- Dump the dough (separated oil and all) into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat the dough for about 1 minute on medium speed to cool it off slightly. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Continue mixing until the dough is uniformly smooth, thick and shinny, about 3 – 5 minutes. Stir in the grated apple.
- Line a plate with paper towels. Heat about 1 ½ inches of oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven to 325 degrees. Drop the dough into the hot oil using a small ice cream scoop or two spoons, about 1 tablespoon of dough per zeppole.
- Do not over crowd the oil, depending on the size of your pan only fry about 6 at a time to keep the oil temperature even. Turn the zeppole over in the hot oil a few times with a slotted spoon for even browning. Fry for about 4 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove zeppole to paper towel lined plate with slotted spoon to drain while finishing the rest. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.