Not ALL pies are dessert pies. They can be savory as well. Jamaican Beef Patties are by far my FAVORITE kind of beef pie. It is spicy and comforting and just oh so delicious. I may not be able to have a Golden Krust spicy Jamaican beef patty, but I can make my own!
For the Pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening (Earth Balance)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking pan or a cookie sheet with tin foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, and pinch of salt. Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Set aside.
- Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent. Stir in ground beef. Season with 1 teaspoon curry powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until beef is evenly brown, stirring constantly. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle. Fold over and press edges together, making a half circle. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
I LOVE these! Flaky crust, meaty inside. Delicious! They are perfect for lunch or even dinner on the go! ENJOY!