Looking for a quick dinner recipe that your friends and family will enjoy? This chicken has a touch of sweetness that is sure to please with ease.
Easy Garlic Chicken
These chicken breast get a touch of sweetness with a touch of brown sugar. Serve with white rice (or brown) and your favorite sides for a great dinner that doesn’t require a lot of kitchen time!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (drumsticks work well too- use your favorite piece of chicken)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 500°F and lightly grease a casserole dish.
In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
Place chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
Add salt and pepper to taste. (You can always add more after your chicken has cooked. It is very easy to over salt and pepper any dish so be careful. Salt lightly and then if you need more, add it)
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 30 minutes.
Didn’t I still you it was easy! This dish would go great along side Garlicky Baked French Fries!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
California Pizza Kitchen is DELICIOUS! At Quinnipiac, I had CPK for the first time and I had the Barbecue Chicken Pizza. Yum! Well since becoming gluten free, I haven’t been able to enjoy CPK. But thanks to the Food Network Kitchens, I can recreate the CPK deliciousness in my own kitchen! (with a little adaptation of course!)
Almost Famous Barbecue Chicken Pizza
CPK taste right in your own kitchen!
Adapted from Food Network.com
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Prepared gluten free pizza crust, at room temperature (Udi’s has a great pizza crust or use your favorite or make your own!)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free barbecue sauce
- 1 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Daiya mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Position racks in the upper third and middle of the oven. Place an inverted baking sheet on the top rack and preheat the oven to the appropriate temperature according to your pizza crust.
- Mix 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl. Put the chicken in a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and brush with the barbecue sauce mixture. Bake on the middle oven rack until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Cover the crust with with the remaining 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Top with the chicken, mozzarella and red onion. Slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto a pizza peel or another inverted baking sheet, then slide onto the baking sheet; bake until the cheese melts and the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
That’s right. We CAN have chicken and dumplings and it be gluten free! YES! Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick makes it happen!
Chicken and Dumplings
For the Chicken:
- 2 1/2 cups Progresso chicken broth (which IS gluten free!)
- 1 1/2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (your favorite – carrots, corn and peas are a great combination)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or regular sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
For the Dumplings:
- 3/4 cup Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1/3 cup rice milk
- 2 tablespoons buttery spread (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread) or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat chicken broth, chicken, vegetables, salt, and pepper to boiling. In small bowl, mix 1 cup milk and the cornstarch with wire whisk until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Heat just to boiling.
- In small bowl, stir dumpling ingredients with fork until blended. Gently drop dough by 8 rounded spoonfuls onto boiling chicken mixture.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer.
Happy New Year! Wow. 2012. New Year. Instead of making a new year’s resolution this year, I decided to keep doing what I have been doing. Eating healthy and keeping myself happy. Without your health, you can’t do all the things you want to do. Health is key! I will continue to post delicious recipes and delectable desserts that are good for you! Gluten free, dairy free but definitely not taste free! Let’s start it off right!
Crunchy Garlic Chicken
Chicken is delicious. Chicken with a crunch is even more delicious! This recipe uses Rice Chex as the crunchy coating!
- 1/4 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), melted
- 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Gluten Free Rice Chex cereal, crushed (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (or more)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 3/4 lb) – You can also use skinless drumsticks.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. In shallow dish, mix 2 tablespoons of the buttery spread, the rice milk, chives, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- In another shallow dish, mix crushed cereal, parsley and paprika. Dip chicken into rice milk mixture, then coat lightly and evenly with cereal mixture. Place in pan. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons buttery spread.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F).
- Serve with your favorite sides!
How about a side of rosemary roasted potatoes?
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
This recipe is great and also works GREAT with sweet potatoes! We have this as a side a lot at my house!
- 1 1/2 pounds small red or white-skinned potatoes (or a mixture)
- 1/8 cup your favorite olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes in half or quarters and place in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary; toss until the potatoes are well coated.
- Dump the potatoes on a baking sheet and spread out into 1 layer; roast in the oven for at least 1 hour, or until browned and crisp.
- Flip twice with a spatula during cooking to ensure even browning.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, season to taste, and serve.
For this new year what about a joyful cookie to ring in the new year right?!
Joyful Almond Cookie
It’s like eating an almond joy candy bar in a cookie form! YUM! Chocolate, coconuts and almonds OH MY!
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix
- 1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut and the almonds; mix well.
- Roll dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. Dough will be sticky. Roll balls in remaining coconut until well coated. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to wire rack. Cool completely. Store covered at room temperature.
Cooking tip: if you don’t have toasted almonds, heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in ungreased shallow pan. Bake 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
Happy New Year everyone!!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.
It’s New Years Eve! Ok so you’ve got some party ideas from my last post. Here a few more! Like I said, you got to ring in the new year BIG!
Grilled Asian Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) (or more if you like the heat! I do!)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 lb)
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.(Or if you are inside, get a grill pan) In small bowl, mix all ingredients except chicken; brush mixture over chicken.
- Place chicken, bone sides down, on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 15 to 20 minutes. Turn chicken. Cover grill; cook 20 to 40 minutes longer, turning 2 or 3 times, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (180°F).
- Serve with white rice or your favorite side.
Of course, we HAVE to do another cocktail cupcake! How about a lemon drop cupcake! A big ball is going to drop and while your counting down into the new year, toast with a lemon drop cupcake.
Lemon Drop Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup buttery spread such as Earth Balance, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
For the Frosting
- 3 tablespoons buttery spread, such as Earth Balance, softened
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon rice milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream buttery spread and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add lemon peel and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and rice milk; beat until smooth. Fill and ziplock plastic bag with the frosting and cut the tip of the bag. Frost cupcakes.
Last but definitely not least a Cosmo slush!!
- 6 oz frozen (thawed) limeade concentrate (from 12-oz can)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups citrus-flavored vodka or orange juice
- 1 cup orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
- 4 cups 100% cranberry juice blend
- In blender, place limeade concentrate and powdered sugar. Cover and blend on high speed until well mixed. Add vodka and orange liqueur. Cover and blend until well mixed.
- In 13×9-inch glass baking dish, stir limeade mixture and cranberry juice until well mixed.
- Cover and freeze at least 8 hours until slushy. Stir before serving.
THAT’S IT! Celebrate, be merry and ring in the new year with those you love! ENJOY!
I am all about flavor. Sweet, spicy, savory I like a lot of flavor. Dinner is a perfect time of day to inject some flavor in your day. Chicken is a perfect empty canvas just waiting for flavor to be painted on. Here is a great recipe that uses a zesty and robust rub to bring life into chicken breast.
Lime and Chili Rubbed Chicken
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or a little more if you like a little heat but I wouldn’t do too much – you don’t want the chili powder to overpower the dish)
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb) (you can do this with boned skinless chicken breast as well)
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease the foil so that the chicken does not stick. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix chili powder, brown sugar, lime peel, salt, garlic powder and ground red pepper. Rub both sides of chicken with oil, then with spice mixture.
- Refrigerate the “rubbed” chicken 20 to 30 minutes before baking (this really enhances the flavor).
- Place the chicken in the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the juice of the chicken is clear when the thickest part is cut.
- Serve with you favorite sides and ENJOY!
This recipe makes me think of the fiesta lime chicken that they have at Applebee’s and what would great with this chicken? A margarita! Here is a classic margarita recipe.
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate (your favorite)
- 6 fluid ounces tequila (your choice)
- 2 fluid ounces triple sec
- Lime wedge (to rim glasses)
- Coarse sugar (to rim glasses)
- Lemon or lime slices (for garnish)
- Fill blender with crushed ice. Pour in limeade concentrate, tequila and triple sec. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into sugar rimmed margarita glasses and serve. (to rim your glasses, dip your glass in warm water and then dip into coarse sugar or you can rub the rim with a lime wedge then dip into the sugar)
Coarse sugar (to rim glasses)
- Lime wedge (to rim glasses)
1 6-ounce can frozen limeade concentrate (your favorite)
2/3 cup sweetened grapefruit juice
25 to 30 small ice cubes (about 4 cups)
Lemon or lime slices (for garnish)
- If desired, rub rims of margarita glasses with lime wedge; dip rims into a shallow dish of coarse sugar and shake off excess. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine limeade concentrate, orange juice, and grapefruit juice. Cover and blend until smooth. With the blender running, gradually add ice cubes through the hole in the lid, blending until slushy. Pour into margarita glasses. If desired, garnish with lemon or lime slices.