Oh breakfast! How yummy you are. I love that you can have cake for breakfast and coffee cake is one of the best!
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter or your favorite gluten free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter or your favorite gluten free flour blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat a 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- For the topping, combine gluten free flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. You can use a food processor or save some water and just use your hands! You will get the same crumble texture and you don’t have to break out a dish. Stir in walnuts if you choose to use them.
- Set aside your topping mixture aside.
- For the cake, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter with a mixer at medium speed about 30 seconds or until smooth. Gradually add sugar and beat 3 to 4 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Add vanilla and bananas and beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, mixing after each addition only until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes and then remove cake out of pan and cool on wire rack completely.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Luckily coffee cake isn’t JUST for breakfast! I could definitely have coffee cake after lunch or as a yummy dessert. Enjoy with a delicious cup of tea or coffee! YAY ENJOY!
Kwegyirba Croffie is a freelance Associate Producer at News 12 Connecticut and a Special Events/Event Planning and Social Media Intern at College Lifestyles (TM). She is a Quinnipiac University alumni and a sister of Alpha Delta Pi. She enjoy cupcakes,Broadway musicals, Forever 21 ,giraffes, peacock feathers, orchids, lillies and anything Disney.