It may not feel like Christmas is 3 days away in some parts of the country but it is! Though it doesn’t appear that it will be a white christmas, why not bring some snow into your kitchen with this coconut cake recipe! All that white is sure to get you in the holiday mode if you aren’t already!
Coconut Cake with Snowflake Frosting
Coconut Cake traditionally has a cream cheese frosting but since I am dairy free, I have made a homemade vanilla frosting with no milk and covered the entire cake is sweet shredded coconut flakes. Definitely a snowball cake 🙂
- 1 1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread), at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten free flour, plus more for dusting the pans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut milk or rice milk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, then line them parchment paper. Grease them again and dust lightly with flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the buttery spread and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. The mixture might look curdled; don’t be concerned.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a knife. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
Time for the snowflake frosting!
- 1/2 c. shortening (Spectrum Organic palm oil shortening)
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Up to 1/8 cup water
- 6 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
In a large mixing bowl, stir together shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly add in water until consistency is thick, smooth, and spreadable.
To assemble, place 1 layer on a flat serving plate, top side down, and spread with frosting. Place the second layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides. To decorate the cake, sprinkle the top with coconut and lightly press more coconut onto the sides. Serve at room temperature.